Saturday, May 1, 2010

Are we there yet?


If only us parents had $100 for each time our kids speak these words.


Often, I ask myself this same question about my manuscripts. Knowing a piece is ready doesn’t come easily to me, and I see that I’m not alone. The gals over at “Adventures in Children’s Publishing” have written a great post about how to know when you’re querying too soon.


After lots of reading about synopses at Miss Snark, I spent yesterday preparing a one-pager. Is it ready? No, not by a long shot. How will I know when it’s ready? Good question. Anyone out there with great advice?


Another helpful post I found was where Charlie Jane Anders wrote about 4 danger signs to search for prior to sending off your novel.


There’s a sensible pattern here. Write, cool, revise. Cool some more, revise some more, then repeat as necessary. I can handle that.


NOW are we almost there yet?

14 comments:

  1. Sadly, I find I'm 'never' there, finding every more editing I can do. I've been editing my present children's novel for six months now, heaven alone knows how long it would take me if I were writing for grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll know it when you read it first thing in the morning. If it flows well, then go with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, thanks. That's a good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a four step editing process that helps me know when I'm finally there. In truth I'm sure I'll be editing more when the work comes back from my agent and then again when it gets picked up by a publisher. But at least the four step editing process helps me get it down and get it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you! I feel like I'm never gonna say "it's ready"...Good luck on your synopsis, those are tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hemingway pointed out something oh-so-true: books are DUE, not done. I never find myself thinking, "Oh, it's just so perfect" when I send a proposal in. I just pray it's good enough -- and get someone to tie me up so that I can't chase down the Fed Ex truck. Last proposal was sent via e-mail. Fed Ex guy not in danger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia, Heather, and Slushy, thanks for stopping by. I love the Hemingway quote, that books are due not done. So appropriate. Back to my synopsis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'd all be so rich it wouldn't be funny! I found your blog from Angie Paxton so I thought I'd stop over and say hello. You'r blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've decided that "when it's ready" is a moving target. What was ready two years ago, might not be ready now, but that's good. We get better as we write. I shudder when I look back at what I thought was "ready" to sub a few years ago.

    Now I shudder to think that if I sub what I'm writing now I'll look back and wish I had rewritten a few more times. Well, I hope so. That means I've moved ahead in my craft.

    Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. C. Lee, thanks for the tip. Moving target is a great way to put it! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great subject. We all need a reminder every now and then of the importance of 'cooling' -- I'm a big fan of revision. (I kind of actually enjoy it....) I found the 4 Danger Signs a refreshing heads-up on repetitive -- and useless -- word use. Kind of actually.

    I 'just' spent 'way' too long editing this comment!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, thanks for visiting! No worries about editing your comments, I do the same thing!

    ReplyDelete