I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal, and I'd like to share with you some hidden benefits of being a distracted writer:
- Dust bunnies are no longer evil critters who must be exterminated with the vacuum. They become cute little fellas who keep us company while we're in la la land.
- Weird Google searches are acceptable. If the FBI confiscates our computers, we have a viable explanation for the weirdness. It's okay to search for molotov cocktail ingredients, or the best way to torture a character. We're not crazy or dangerous, we're just quirky writers.
- Staring into space is considered work. In what other profession can you actually improve while you're daydreaming?
- Watching movies and reading books is considered research. We learn about plot structure and cliffhangers from entertainment. How awesome is that?
- Our children learn how to cook at an early age. It's that whole independence thing we're teaching them. As long as we're within reach of a fire extinguisher, we shouldn't feel guilty, right?
Okay distracted writers, it's time to dish. Which benefit is your favorite, or can you add one to the list?
If this post doesn't make sense it's because I'm distracted :D