Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Enthusiasm--Bring It!


First, I want to mention that I guest posted about flawed vs. unlikable characters over at Lisa Green's blog. If you haven't checked it out yet, come on over! Warning: Lisa's blog is highly addictive.

And now, on to enthusiasm!

When we're passionate and enthusiastic about our work, our manuscripts can shine. But if we're mired in a swamp full of rejections, revisions, or plotting obstacles, we writers can become discouraged.

So how can we retain or regain enthusiasm for our work? Here are some ideas:
  • Stay productive. Even when we're in a slump, if we remain productive and write through it, the good stuff will eventually flow.
  • Need a break? Take one. This sometimes contradicts the previous point, but when our creative brains are fried, we might just need a sweaty workout, a good movie, or an unhealthy dose of reality TV. And chocolate.
  • Revel in the success of others. Instead of feeling envious (I know, I've felt that way too) we should rejoice in the success of other writers. Heck, if they can do it, so can we!
  • Run your own race. A companion to the previous point. If we focus on our own road, our own journey, we're less likely to become discouraged. Eye on the prize, writer friends.
  • Consider no-pay/low-pay markets. These markets are hungry for submissions, and are a great opportunity to earn writing credits. Plus, receiving an acceptance from these markets can give writers a much needed boost of confidence. Funds for Writers is a great place to start, and if you write for kids, check out kidmagwriters.com.
  • Nurture your talent. When we read craft books, we're planting the seeds for success. Plus, successful authors of these books are quick to offer encouragement. Win/win.
  • Write with all your heart. If we try to fit ourselves into something that isn't a good match, we may lose our passion. But if we write what we love, something we'd like to read, our enthusiasm has a better chance of hanging on.
  • Daydream. Go ahead. It's one of our perks.
  • Remain thankful. Our skills, and the opportunity to improve them, are a gift.
Do you ever lose enthusiasm for your work? If so, how do you get it back? Please share!

29 comments:

  1. This is such a great list, Julie! So glad you shared it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great ideas. I try to surround myself with good arts (novels, drawings, movies, etc.) whenever I lose enthusiasm -- because being inspired is a quick way to regain it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use a boost of that right now! And that is one happy dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reminders! I think that 'keep writing and stay busy' goes very well with not putting all our eggs in one basket which helps... getting rejections on one is easier to take if there is something else out there you can stay excited about.

    And good advice on the low or no-pay--I think so many people are angling for a quick payoff, but in the longer run, the more readers we've won, the better off all of it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lost the enthusiasm for my writing few weeks back, but thank God my passion for it is back in a big way. Great post, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, thank you!!! Second, that's an AMAZING list. I'm so glad you offered that link. It made such a huge difference for me. I hope it helps others too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I'd add that if you take a break from writing (which I agree can be necessary) don't make it TOO long because it can be hard to get back into writing. I like your suggestion of exercising or watching a movie - something that gets your mind off of writing without being away for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Focusing on our own road, our own journey, is so important! It's easy to get discouraged because we feel we aren't as far along as someone else in one aspect or another. These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the visit, guys, and for sharing your own tips for staying enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wise advice, as always, Julie! I'm happy to say I'm there on each count except for the no-pay/low-pay market one. I'm not even sure how to find more info for my genre, but I'll look into it! Thanks once again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing and useful advice, especially about the no-pay/low-pay markets. This is something I haven't considered and will definitely look into. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to Nancy Thompson's comment, I've added another link to the no pay/low pay section. Check out Funds for Writers at http://www.fundsforwriters.com/. You can sign up for their newsletter and have great markets send to your email address. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Julie. I think having little targets of plans helps too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post full of great ideas.

    I'm also a fan of cheating on one writing project with a newer, sexier one. Sometimes that's enough to get the creativity folowing again and help revive enthusiasm for slogging through the slump.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super advice. I know the craziness of the holiday season really zaps my writing mojo. I need a good checklist like this to put my train back on the track.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! :) I'm bookmarking this one for when I'm down on enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a great list. I'm with you on all points. I love the day dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Julie! I've been woefully unenthusiastic lately. Partly the fog that won't go away outside, partly the lack of sleep, partly lots of things. Plus, I'm editing, not writing, and I find it harder to edit through slumps. I realized today I should try to write more small pieces for fun rather than just work, work, work on big projects. Now all I need is a fun idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome list! If we don't have enthusiasm, we don't have much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post and thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julie, Thank you for an incredible list. I found enthusiasm because I was excited to live my day with my characters and see where we were going. I cry tears with them and laugh too. It's hard not to be enthusiastic living in a fantasy world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This was a great list. The biggest one for me that you mentioned, is taking a break. It's amazing how much clearer things seem after you've had some distance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely lose it in cycles but it always comes back. Usually when I'm going in the wrong direction with my career or my writing and it takes getting back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I lose enthusiasm all the time, but writing friends bring me back up! Not to mention super agent K and her encouragement! Great post, Julie:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent, Julie! I'm now learning about powering through when some of the enthusiasm is waning. :) And running our own race and not comparing ourselves to others is crucial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Since I don't (yet) write to put food on the table, I get to slack here a bit. If my enthusiasm wanes, I let it. My words will come, and sometimes forcing them isn't the best way for me. So I set them free, let them roam a bit, and then see if they come back home. If they do, it's time. If not, they're sill my words and I love them.

    And when all else fails, including wine, chocolate and a new pen, I pull out my first published article and think, "Boy, if they're willing to publish that, then I've still got another chance!"

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad I stopped by before doing my writing today. You're a great encourager and you've got me rarin' to go! :)
    Thanks Julie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your picture, it looks like an enthusiastic dog we used to have. I lose my enthusiasm sometimes, but keep plugging along. I already write a column (for no pay) for a monthly regional magazine and have for over two years. I'm hoping that some day, with that in my cover letter, it might help a publisher be more inclined to read my manuscripts instead of putting them in the slush pile so quickly.

    ReplyDelete