My 16-year-old son recently spent some time at football camps. While waiting in the stands, the writer in me came out and I began scribbling down scene details on the back of my son's schedule. Well, I watched him and took photos too! But hey, as a YA writer, I never know when I'll need these details.
In case you're curious about how these camps work, or if you ever need scene details involving a football camp, I thought I'd share what I noticed.
- College campuses: USC, UCLA and Cerritos College. Large, beige buildings surrounding a football field.
- Artificial turf on the football fields, with tiny black rubber bits scattered all over the ground (from the turf)
- Powerade station with organizers filling cups for the players
- Foggy L.A. mornings, but once the clouds burn off, hot afternoons
- Hundreds of teen boys, all races, all sizes. Not only big, burly guys, but smaller guys who haven't finished growing yet
- Boys wearing school gym shorts--black, red, yellow, purple--with high school logos on the right leg
- All boys wearing matching athletic shirts provided by camp organizers. White box in the center where boys wrote their names (some first names, some last names) with a black Sharpie
- Hair: buzz cuts, curly, long hair held back in bands
- Moms and dads in the stands, watching, taking photos, reading, looking at their phones
- Some boys standing alone; some making small talk with other boys
- Lone (brave) girl running laps around the track (there's a story there, right?)
- Burly coaches with "Staff" written on the backs of their shirts
- Boys separated in groups on the field, stretching, warming up, jumping
- Running the 40 yard dash
- One on one drills
- 7 on 7 drills
- Grouped in rooms by position, watching film of their technique & receiving tips on how to improve
- Coaches yelling instructions
- Whistles blowing
- Chants at the end of claps, like "SC!"
- At USC--nearby construction noise
- One huge coach on the sidelines screaming at the players, "Come on Beyonce! Let's see what you've got, Beyonce!" (Not even joking)
What do you think of these scene details? Ever been to a football camp? Do you jot down scene details when you're out and about?