Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Writing lessons learned from #WOOL



It's been way too long since I've shared some of my writing lessons learned from great fiction! Today I'll gush about WOOL, by Hugh Howey. These notes are based on the omnibus edition of the story, but you can download part one for free here.

First, a brief description of book one:

Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside. Or you'll get what you wish for.

I've learned some important life lessons from Hugh Howey, like the one I detailed in this post "Are you the Tiger Woods of publishing? Does it matter?" But I also learned amazing writing lessons from his books. (Alert! Read no further if you don't want to know any plot points!)

  • Keep the secrets coming: the entire WOOL series thrives on the unknown. Why is humanity living underground? When was the silo built? Who built it and why? Who's good? Who's bad? Who's withholding the truth? All these questions kept me turning the digital pages.
  • Provide good reasons for secrets: folks who live in the silo are punished for asking too many questions. Wanna explore the outdoors? Buh bye, you're dead. This provides a great reason why the characters don't know much about their living conditions. They accept their reality and don't dare question it.
  • Give it a rest: WOOL builds tension at a steady pace until soon it's break-neck. But Howey does a great job of giving small rests. For instance, opposite sides start fighting. Bullets fly. While all this happens, we're watching a mechanic fiddle with a radio for communication. It's not much of a rest, but it's there.
  • Build conflict among books & among the series: Howey not only creates tense action and meaningful character arcs within each book, he also does this along the entire series. Stakes rise and conflict builds chapter by chapter, book by book. (By the way, I totally admire writers who write series. What a great skill)
  • Answer a question, introduce a question: just like secrets, Howey doles out questions throughout the entire series. As one question is answered, another is introduced. Readers don't know everything until the final chapter of the last book.
  • Multiple points of view? No problem: most of the series is from one point of view, but many other points of view were expressed when needed. This didn't bother me a bit. It gave me insight to areas of the story the main character wasn't aware of.
Have you read any books from the WOOL series? What's your opinion of these writing lessons? Have you used any of these writing techniques? Please share!

My kids are on spring break next week, so I'll skip next Wednesday. The next post will be up April 30th--with a special guest!

14 comments:

  1. I haven't read the Wool series yet although I know I will enjoy it. Secrets are good, but you're right, there has to be a reason.
    And a series is only difficult when you don't start out to write one. Trust me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, I'm darn impressed that you wrote a series--no matter how you pulled it off!

      Delete
  2. I had to pass on reading this Julie as I have Wool in my Kindle to read still, but I LOVE when you do these features!! I've pinned it so that I can go back to it after I read Wool and compare my reaction to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traci, I'll be interested to hear what you think. Happy reading!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read the Wool series but you're making me want to start it. Have a great spring break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I was pleasantly surprised by this series (I'm not much of a series reader). If you read it I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. I've heard really good things about Wool, but still haven't read it yet. Your post encouraged me to move it up higher on my To Read list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, I'd heard rumblings about it too and decided to try book one since it's free. By the end of book one I was hooked.

      Delete
  5. It's waiting on my Kindle based on your rec. I like the idea of "brain breaks" in the action. Sometimes you just need a sec to mentally digest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie, I agree about brain breaks. Too much pumped up action makes reading not so relaxing!

      Delete
  6. I'm going to get this series on your recommendation. Thanks Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someday I'll get to this, I'm sure. It's interesting to hear/read the hype and associated hoop-a-la going around on this series. I love your study/take on the book/series and you make some great observations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read the WOOL books yet, but I do agree with your idea that it's good to have secrets and to intrigue readers with things so they'd ask why....and keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the series yet, but I plan to. And now knowing that they are full of secrets – one how can I not read them?
    I'm your newest follower, and it's nice to meet you.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete