Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Mini Writing Retreat #IWSG



Welcome, Insecure Writers! Not a member of this group yet? Remedy that STAT!

I'm currently on a mini writing retreat with two of my closest writing buddies. How is it going? I'll report back later! But I did want to chat abut a couple of things. Writing retreats can be expensive and inconvenient--especially if you're on a tight budget and have little kids at home. I'm not one to dump a lot of money into the writing process. It's just not my style. But when my friends approached me with the mini retreat idea, I jumped on board. Why?

  1. Lower cost. We're not paying for expensive workshops or roundtable critiques. We're simply getting away with our laptops to write. Most of the stuff covered in workshops or retreats can be found online for free.
  2. Zero pressure. I don't feel the pressure of passing my manuscript around to strangers. I don't feel pressure to come back to the hotel room between sessions in order to slash and burn my manuscript. It's simply a quiet time to work with friends who are doing the same thing.
  3. Friendly motivation. Part of the benefits of a retreat is the camaraderie between writers, and the knowledge gained from pros in the field. We can get enough info from pros in the field without spending the equivalent of a family vacation budget. And by meeting with like-minded friends, we can motivate each other to stay on task.
Retreats and conferences have never been my cup of tea, but this mini retreat idea might be something I can warm up to.

Have you ever attended a writing retreat? A big writing conference? What was your impression? Would you prefer a mini writing retreat? Please share!

14 comments:

  1. The zero pressure would be a big plus for me. I put enough on myself.
    A mini-retreat just to get away and write sounds like a great idea. Go and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to both. I get inspired at the conferences. I get writing done at the retreats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mini-retreat that isn't very expensive sounds great. I'm not going to many writing conferences anymore. I need to use the money I'd spend to see my family more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea of a mini-writing retreat, Julie. I think this would be doable for me. Even just two days. ................ Sorry, my mind just basked in the quiet and peace of no kids interrupting my writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attend a conference every May and it's always the same weekend of my other writing group's retreat. I've never been to the retreat and probably won't ever. A mini-retreat sounds like more fun with just a few people.
    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only retreats I've been able to manage are when I go to stay with family over the holidays but I haven't been able to do that for a while. We were supposed to go on vacation next week but that got canceled. Hope to remedy that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mini retreat sounds wonderful. I hope you're having a fun and productive time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm planning a mini retreat this winter, but all by myself. If I went with friends, I'd never get any work done. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what an awesome idea! This could be something I can start with my buddies as well. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never been on a writing retreat (or a big conference for that matter), but I can imagine getting away from everyone for a while just to write would be great. Don't think my family would let me go, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As one of the "retreaters," I can vouch for the creative jumpstart these few days have given me. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you. enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never been to a writing conference/retreat.
    "Simply getting away with laptops to write" sounds like the ideal way to have some productive writerly fun!
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A mini writing retreat is perfect. No pressure and time to focus on only writing.

    ReplyDelete