- Rewriting strategically is only going to strengthen my book.
- Rewriting strategically is fun because I know what to do for each step.
- Rewriting is what separates the real pros from the wannabes.
- I don't wannabe a wannabe. I wanna be a pro. (I love this one! Must be said while stomping your feet.)
Bell suggests we print the manuscript on paper, then find a quiet place to power through the book. He marks up his manuscripts using the following symbols:
- A checkmark for pages where he feels the story is dragging.
- Parentheses around incomprehensible sentences. (Huh? I have those? Yep.)
- A circle in the margin where he thinks material needs to be added.
- A question mark for material he thinks might need to be cut. (My poor darlings!)
My manuscript is still in cool-down mode, but I've sharpened my red pencil & I'm ready to make the book better.
How about you? What revision tips can you share?
photo credit: flickr