"We crucify ourselves between two thieves: regret for yesterday and fear of tomorrow." - Fulton Oursler
It occurred to me that writers are perpetually in a state of In Between. Where are you on this list?
- Between the brilliant idea and the first draft
- Between the first draft and the 20th draft
- Between the polish and the query
- Between the query and agent representation
- Between representation and an editor's "yes"
- Between the "yes" and the boxful of books shipped to your doorstep
- Between the boxful of books and the sale of book #2 (or 3 or...)
With this writing life we've chosen, there are many In Betweens. Sometimes it's terrifying to close our eyes, build up the necessary faith & confidence, and leap from one side to the other. Landing on the opposite curb requires the courage to exit the In Between.
Remember this: "You are never given a dream without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however." - Richard Bach
Is there an In Between you'd like to add to the list? What In Between stage are you in, and was it difficult to arrive at this phase of your writing journey?