Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Inspiration for Writers (and Graduates!)



Last week we learned that our son was Salutatorian of his 8th grade class. Pretty darn cool. We also learned he had to write a speech over the weekend.

He wanted to write his own speech, which I totally respected. I did help with editing, and with finding inspirational quotes for him to work with. As I read these quotes, I realized they not only applied to business folks, graduates, and life, they applied to writers as well.

I hope they inspire you as much as they inspired us!

I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. -- Michael Jordan

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -- Mark Twain

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is. -- Vince Lombardi

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. -- Henry Ford

Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear. -- George Addair

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma--which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. -- Steve Jobs

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say, I used everything You gave me. -- Erma Bombeck

Which quotes did my son choose? Um, none of these. He chose the wise words of Spongebob Squarepants and Hannah Montana. After all, he's fourteen.

Have you ever written a graduation speech? Did these quotes spark something within you? Any cool quotes you'd like to share?

30 comments:

  1. Those quotes are so inspiring. Yes, I was salutatorian in high school and had to write a speech. It was so stressful but my speech was the better one and was quoted more in the newspaper. Made for a stressful graduation though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, how cool that you were salutatorian in high school. Wow. Yes, I can imagine how it added stress to the end of your year.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your son's success, Julz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. You must be a really proud mamma. These quotes were all very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murees, I really was proud. Teared up when I read the letter.

      Delete
  4. Those are some amazing quotes. I like the one about standing before God. (Because one day, we all will!)
    Congratulations to your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Alex! And I like that quote because it reminds us to use all that God has given us.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to you for being a great mom of a smart son, and congrats to that son of yours. As the mother of a 19 year-old, I am not at all surprised that yours chose his own quotes, but I love yours. The Michael Jordan one is particularly encouraging to a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shell....a 19 year old! The time went fast, yes? I have a 17 yo entering his senior year this fall, and I can't believe this time is already here.

      Delete
  6. I never wrote a graduation speech, but congratulations to your son for his accomplishments! I like Erma Bombeck's quote best. I also like Steve Jobs' quote, especially because there are several people who try to tell me how I should live my life. It's hard to ignore them sometimes, but I know that I wouldn't be happy if I did what they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's tough...when there are voices telling you what to do. I think it's awesome that you know you wouldn't be happy if you chose the path they think is right for you. That takes courage!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Julie. Those are great quotes. I've never had to write a graduation speech. I bet your son did an awesome job. CONGRATS to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susanne. I'd never written a speech before, so I couldn't offer much help. He did great on his own :)

      Delete
  8. Congrats to your son. I love quotes like this because they're inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, me too! As we read through all the quotes, I found myself saying, "Yes!"

      Delete
  9. I LOVE that last quote… so beautiful, Julie. And what a wonderful time of life… gosh, my eldest isn't too far away from that… freaks me out!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morgan, this time FLEW! I swear, I can't believe all three boys will be at the same high school next year. It's so true what people say...enjoy each moment with your kids because the time goes by way too fast.

      Delete
  10. Love that he went with his own quotes!!
    I have several of those up in my classroom - the Michael Jordan one is awesome. I've used the commercial around it too - great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemi, I also love the Michael Jordan quote. It's great for the kids to hear that sometimes failure brings your biggest successes. It's tough for them to understand that sometimes (heck, tough for grown ups to understand it too!)

      I'll bet you're an amazing teacher!

      Delete
  11. By far my favorite quote of all time. And congrats to your son; you must be so proud. Job well done, mom!

    Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear. -- George Addair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, isn't that the truth? Once we get past the fear, there's so much waiting on the other side. That's what I think about publishing. It's scary to put yourself out there, but once we do, there's good stuff ahead.

      Delete
  12. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about all these quotes. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, it was a good time for me to reflect as well. It's nice to be reminded sometimes!

      Delete
  13. Great quotes! Congrats to your son--you must be so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ange. I was so proud, and so surprised. And he did a great job delivering his speech with the Spongebob quote!

      Delete
  14. These are awesome! Congratulations to you and your son. (I want to read his quotes)

    Here is one of my favorite. "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
    Steve Jobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karlene, I also like that quote, and the part where it says our heart and intuition somehow already know what we should be doing.

      Delete
  15. Very inspiring. You should repost these on IWSG day!

    Congrats to your son and to you. That was some achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was one of the student speakers at my graduation and into "circle" imagery at the time. I used song lyrics from the movie "Lost Horizon." "The world is a circle without a beginning and nobody knows where the circle ends. Everything depends on where you are in the circle that never stops turning..." Congrats to young master Musil.

    ReplyDelete